- Banana Ride
- Bungee Jumping
- Fishing Tours
- Flying Fox
- Hot Air Ballooning
- Jeep Safari
- Mountain Biking
Velas is a small village in Ratnagiri district which is famous for the Olive Ridley turtle population that visits the Velas beach every year and lays their eggs.At Velas, turtle conservation movement is undertaken by the villagers. An NGO named Sahyadri Nisargmitra and the villagers committee has taken the initiative to conserve olive ridley turtles by providing protection to their eggs.Witnessing a baby turtle coming out of the egg and then finding its way to the sea by those baby steps is an unforgettable moment.
Day 00 -Friday :
Depart from Mumbai by 10:30 p.m by non-a/c luxury bus.
Day 01 – Saturday
We reach Velas eco-village by 06:00 am after a bumpy yet fun ride. Then, we visit Velas beach to witness the tiny turtles taking their first steps. Post sightings, a briefing session would be taken to educate about Olive Ridley Turtles and how they fight for their existence. After that, we move towards our home-stay. You can freshen up and unload your bag-packs. Later, we will have delicious home-made breakfast aalong with introduction session. After filling our stomachs, we proceed for a visit to Bankot Fort, which is known for its history and breathtaking views of Velas beach and Harihareshwar. After that, we head back to our dwelling for a typical Konkani lunch. Post lunch, you can rest till evening. In evening, we visit Velas beach again to sight more Olive Ridley Turtles. Rest of the evening will be dedicated to a documentary, based on the journey of turtles. You can spend the night by enjoying group games, sharing stories and experiences, etc. while having your dinner and then can retire to bed.
Day 02 – Sunday
Wake up early morning with hope of sighting those baby turtles again. Post sighting session, we will have breakfast and leave for Harihareshwar. This is the time when you will experience one of the most interesting moments of the Velas turtle festival tour, where our bus will be transferred from one district to another in a jetty via sea route. We will explore Harihareshwar Temple and beach and will have yummy lunch. After this amazing time, we leave for Mumbai and will reach the city around 9-10 pm.
THINGS TO CARRY
ID Proof (Pan card/Driving License)
1. Extra pair of clothes
2. Dry Food / Snacks and Water Bottle
3. Personal First Aid kit
4. Sanitary kit
5. Cap, Glares, Sunscreen, moisturizer etc.
6.Torch with extra battery
7. Sturdy shoes Or Kitos
8. Rugsack to carry things
9. Camera, Binoculars – Optional
10. Winter Wears
11. Electoral Powder / Glucon D / Tang / Energy Bar etc.
1. The tour dates have been planned after precise calculation of probable hatching dates and as per the information provided by volunteers and researchers at Velas however turtle sightings is a natural phenomena and is matter of luck.
2. Considering safety and security measure, it is strictly not permitted to swim at Velas beach.
3. Moreover, we expect our travellers to take this a complete ecotourism experience, enjoy & explore every bit of the tour and think beyond “just sightings”. There is a lot to enjoy in this short tour so Let’s be travellers, not Tourists :-)
4. As it is totally eco-destination, we provide accommodation in Konkani bungalow on homestay sharing basis. Food is hygienic and prepared in authentic spices by Konkani Brahmin hosts at Velas village, Ratnagiri.